Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NEYC

I quit working at Nordstrom about a month ago, and now I work at the NEYC. The NEYC is a youth center that provides before and after care/activities for kids in the lowest income area in Washington. Yes, this place does exist in Spokane, and it is sad most people don't understand how much help Spokane REALLY does need.

Since most of the kids I work with are not only poor, but from broken homes and lost parents, we get to provide them with role models and mentors they can't find anywhere else. It is a rewarding job, and I get great experience with learning how to be EXTREMELY patient.

My first day of work, was a little scary. I just stood there patiently waiting in front a box of snacks, as the little kiddies came in, and suddenly turned into monsters, I instantly began to question if my job choice was the right choice. I have never been a fan of little kids, for a long time I really thought I wouldn't have kids of my own.

I work with a lot of Gonzaga and Whitworth students, so it makes for a really fun time. My first couple days, I just observed how well they did with the kids, and how patient they were. Seriously, some of the most patient college kids I have ever met in my life. They don't let a kid screaming his head off even affect their mood, they don't let smashed crackers for miles wipe the smile off their faces... I have learned that these crazy kids have a lot of energy in them that most of them can't contain for various reasons. Some have been abused, most have ADHD.
Autism. Fetal alcohol syndrome. Neglect. I mean the list goes on and on. I am falling in love with these kids. It is a place for them to get love where they can't find in most places. I am learning a lot more about myself through this process, and finding that I am a lot more passionate about kids than I thought.

I definitely get a good laugh every time I step into that crazy building full of opportunities.

1 comment:

  1. Hillary!!
    Aww this is perfect. I can just picture it. I am so excited that you are doing something like that. As much as you may say you arn't crazy about kids, you have a gift of connecting with them. I am so excited to see you and hear stories. Love you

    ReplyDelete