Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Life Word

Jan Term has begun and my roommates have returned! AnnAlise is still home, but she will be back soon, making our home complete once again! Jamie arrived yesterday and it was such a JOY to see her walk in with her captivating spirit yelling, "Hi Hills!" I love having my roomies back. It makes life a lot more fun that's for sure! My Jan Term class is going to be super easy, fun, and interesting, and that will make this month a time to relax and hang out lots.

I have been catching myself getting into these moods of stressing about money or being too tired or not having enough fun or in other words- just not being able to do what I want when I want.

I don't like that I have been in a funk of such crummy thinking, so I am going to step out of it, take a deep breath, and just be thankful. Because there is so much to be thankful for.

I have a job that allows me to be bubbly and friendly everyday.
I have a job that allows me to hang out with some amazing girls.
I have a home that is cheap to live in and cozy to sleep in.
I have a family that visits me a lot and treats me well.
I have five beautiful roommates who I can count on.
I attend an awesome university.
I have a God that I can rely on.

It's hard not to worry or stress, but when I do, it's always good to stop and remember what I have, where I've been, and to remember what I am thankful for.

When I returned from India I chose a word for my life, "Remember." If you haven't chosen a "life word" you should. It plays a big part in my life. This is an excerpt from "Sex God" that I fell in love with, and helped me find my word.

"When we’re not at peace, when we’re not content, when we aren’t in a good place, our radar gets turned on. we’re looking. searching. and we’re sensory creatures, so it won’t be long before something, or somebody, catches our attention.

and it always revolves around the “if,” doesn’t it? if i just…

the idea creeps into our head and heart that we are lacking, that we are incomplete, that this craving right in front of us is the answer.

the “if” means we have become attached to the idea that we are missing something and that we can be satisfied by whatever it is we have in our sights. there’s a hold, a space, a gap, and we’re on the search. and we may not even realize it. when we are in the right place, the right space–content and at peace–we aren’t on the search, and our radar gets turned off.

this is why gratitude is so central to the life God made for us. until we can center ourselves on what we do have, on what God has given us, on the life we do get to live, we’ll constantly be looking for another life. that is why the word remember occurs again and again in the Bible. God commands his people to remember who they are, where they’ve been, what they’ve seen, what’s been done for them."

3 comments:

  1. I really love this. Hillary, you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Hillary. :) Great timing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HILLARY!!! I wish I was your roomate and could come bursting through the door saying "Hi Hills!". I miss you dearly and love reading your posts every now and again and checking in to see the changes that are happening in your life. You are a beautiful person and always remind me that life is beautiful and I remember reading "Sex God" but haven't thought of it in awhile. I like your life word, remember, its a perfect reminder.

    Love you Hill! So great to check in on you and your blog! can't wait to see you again someday my friend

    ReplyDelete