Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Last year when I went to Mexico I met a girl named Selah. We became friends through the fact that we both went to India for mission work at some point in our lives. It was a good connection. Rare, but good. It's nice to know that somewhere in this world there is someone else you can relate to, even if it is just an interesting character you meet in a spa on vacation. I found comfort in the fact that Selah had seen the people I saw, loved the people I loved, and experienced the culture I chose to embrace.

I just got back from Mexico a couple days ago and my family and Selah's family have actually become quite good friends. Our moms are very much alike and our families just mix so well. Selah and her family talked about India and we compared and shared our experiences. She told me about the first time her group got into a taxi, and how the two taxi drivers split up the groups and took them to a parking lot to steal their things...It was so interesting hearing all her crazy stories...Soon I felt like Selah and I couldn't even relate in our experiences, that I once thought were so similar.

The whole time she was talking, I was thinking, "Did we REALLY go to the same place?"

I began to really reflect on my experience, and how safe and loved I was when I was there. I literally felt invincible. Kati and I were fearless, and it just felt so right to be there in living those precious moments.

That really shows me how much God was a part of that trip. I just have never thanked God for that. The safety and the love...Oh man, Selah does not even know!

How could I get so lucky in that crazy country?


No comments:

Post a Comment