Sunday, December 19, 2010

She's Bringing Heaven to Earth


I try to avoid school buses. It's usually a much longer drive either to or from the gym if I get stuck behind that big yellow rectangle, that has the power to stop traffic going either way, for however long it takes for all the "tinies" to get situated and ready to go. There is this one particular spot where it takes so long, that cars usually start finding a new route to avoid the long wait. I am usually behind the long line of cars, that I never understand what takes SO long at this certain house.

Last week, I got the opportunity to be the first car stuck right behind the bus at the house that takes forever. I sat there thinking, "Ok, I have GOT to see what takes these kids so long everyday." A young girl about 12 years old comes out with a huge smile and just an arms length below her is a little boy in a wheel chair. I kept watching and started observing... After she brings out the first one (yes, the first one), she then runs inside and brings out another little tiny in a wheelchair, this time a little girl. Tiny handicap children. So here I am in my car, waiting, and watching these three kids.

Once I saw the second child be wheeled out, the entire scene changed for me. Not just one, but TWO! How unlucky....How sad for this family. Then I started to think what this family might be like. Man, that 12 year old girl pushing them to the bus looked so happy! Joy was radiating off her body, as she waved goodbye to her brother and sister her smile couldn't get any bigger. She didn't seem unlucky. She didn't look sad.

That day reminded me of a chapter in the book "Sex God" that really got me:

I have a new hero. Her name is Lil, and I would guess she’s in her late fifties.

I met her earlier this year when she introduced me to her daughter, whom she

was pushing in a wheelchair. Early in their marriage, Lil and her husband

decided that they would adopt two children. As they became familiar with the

family services system, they learned that there were kids in the system nobody

wanted. So they went to the local adoption agency and asked for the kids with

the most pronounced disabilities, the most traumatic histories, and the most

hopeless futures. They asked if they could have the kids nobody wanted. Over

the past thirty or so years, they have raised well over twenty children, raising

their biological children alongside their adopted children.

When Lil got to this point in her story, she reached down and patted her daugh-

ter and said, “This is Crystal. She’s twenty-seven years old but will be about

six months old developmentally for the rest of her life. She can’t talk or walk

or move or feed herself or do anything on her own. She will be like this, totally

dependent on us, until the day she dies. And I love her so much. My family and

I, we can’t imagine life without her. She makes everything so much better.”


What is Lil doing?


She’s bringing heaven to earth.


She gives us a glimpse into another realm. Into a better way. The way of God.

She and her family have taken kids who were discarded because of their per-

ceived lack of worth and said, “No, you are not to be rejected and turned away.

We are going to love you as an equal, as a human, as one of us.”


I don't know this family, I could be wrong about it all. But I'd like to think that joyful twelve year old girl and her family are bringing a little bit of Heaven to earth. At least, that is what I felt like I was witnessing.



2 comments: